P-pump Powerstroke project. - Page 2 - ThePullingPlace.com
ThePullingPlace.com

Go Back   ThePullingPlace.com > Sled Pulling Chatter > Builds/Projects
Forgot Password?
Builds/Projects Post up what you are working on

ThePullingPlace.com is the premier Truck/Tractor Sled Pulling Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:34 AM   #11
fordt
Administrator

There will be alot of pros and cons for auto vs. manual. I prefer auto, but it really depends on how much power you plan to put down in the end.

As far as axles go, check the local rules where you will be pulling, since alot of tracks won't let you pull in a class with anything other than the equipment that came standard on the truck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 44' Eliminator

Powered By -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shined By -

fordt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2009, 12:03 PM   #12
LOGANSTANFORTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moulder View Post
It's off of a larger International V-8. Just be carful on what engine you source a pump from because some will only run on 4 cylinders until the extra power is needed. I don't know what it would take to change one of these kind of pumps over. Does anyone know some one who can do custom nozzels for 8.3 cummins injectors? These are the ones I plan on using but I need the correct spray pattern.
that is an S-series pump, they come off the 1586 IH tractor, there is a kit that used to be sold (ill assume it still is) that will convert it over to a full 8 cylinders all the time instead of 4 cylinders below a certain RPM...

here is a shot of the tractor.....
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/a...antis-1568.jpg
LOGANSTANFORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:31 PM   #13
Moulder

Well the big brown truck dropped off a couple of boxes at my house today (it missed being on my birthday by 5 days). Anyway I also got the engine pulled today so now I get to start taking it apart for the conversion. I still need to get the injectors, injector hold downs, and injector spacers. But at least now I know there is a tunnel that has a light at the end of it (even if I can't see it) v
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00060-20090624-1637.jpg (100.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00063-20090624-1641.jpg (110.6 KB, 26 views)
Moulder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #14
fordt
Administrator

Atleast the project is moving forward, eventually the light will get bright!

2008 44' Eliminator

Powered By -

Shined By -

fordt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:21 PM   #15
Moulder

Well I hit a big bump in the road. I didn't get to tear it down as quickly as I had hoped but now it is just a short block. Some how it got some rain water in two of the cylinders and one of them is going to need a hone bumped though it. I don't like using a hone on a drill so I am just considering building it up the way I had planned on doing at a later date now. I wanted to have a little fun with it on the street but I'm thinking now just build it up right.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:27 PM   #16
nevrenufhp

Now is a good time to get the heavier duty parts. Going with some beefy rods & forged pistons? Studs all over? Hand polished pump? Is the P-pump conversion a reasonable swap for a regular owner? Worthwile? Cost effective?

Last edited by nevrenufhp; 07-02-2009 at 07:58 PM.
nevrenufhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #17
Moulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevrenufhp View Post
Now is a good time to get the heavier duty parts. Going with some beefy rods & forged pistons? Studs all over? Hand polished pump? Is the P-pump conversion a reasonable swap for a regular owner? Worthwile? Cost effective?
I was planning on doing a lot of neat stuff to it. I am even looking into having a billet stroker crank made. I would like to make it 500+ cubic inches. A set of billet custom length rods would be a must and custom pistons too. I just really wanted to see how streetable a p=pumped stroker would be. I think a lot of people would like to know that as well. More people might be willing to go this route instead of dual hpops and such if they knew more about it. It's not that much of an issue for me becase this truck isn't my daily driver anymore. I may just run a flex hone or have it honed .005 over if it will clean up. This just goes againts everything I was taught at the school I went to (high performance engine school). I also have a 05 common rail cummins that will eventually end up in a 2000 F-550 and and may stick it in my 97 for a little bit. I would like to at least make one truck pull this year. Back to your questions: is it reasonable, no (bean's cover might be though, you could use it and still use the stock fuel system until you can buy the parts needed to do the swap and use the stock water pump). Worthwhile: I don't have a clue I don't have it running so I can't rate it on the fun-o-meter. Cost effective: I guess that depends on the hp I end up making and what it would cost to make the same with the heui system. I know I will be able to turn more rpms so in that asspect it is.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #18
white97350
Rookie

any updates?
white97350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement