Never pulled the sled *READ THIS - ThePullingPlace.com
ThePullingPlace.com

Go Back   ThePullingPlace.com > Off Topic Discussions > The Pit Area
Forgot Password?
The Pit Area A place to gather and chat about whats going on.

ThePullingPlace.com is the premier Truck/Tractor Sled Pulling Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
MoPower05
Super Moderator

Smile Never pulled the sled *READ THIS

When I attended my first pull, I had no idea what I was getting my self into. Would my truck break? Would I win? Would I lose? Would I screw up? Am I doing this right?

It was pretty intimidating. Many trucks and didn't seem to be too many newbies. I made sure I asked a lot of questions but quickly learned that the process of pulling would become second nature.

It took a few passes pulling to really feel comfortable to what my 'pre-flight check list / operating procedures' would be. I finally settled into this.

1st. I want to ensure that my truck is nice and warm. When I realize we are about 30 minutes out from our trucks pulling, I start the engine and let her idle to reach operating engine temps.

2nd. When its my turn and I pull onto the track, I try to make sure I'm lined up so when I back up I directly centered on the sled. Before I back up, I am sure to put into 4x4 low. I back up centered and watch as the official tells me to stop so he can hook the sled to my hitch. I then put into neutral and show my hands out the window for safety reasons. The official then asks for me to slowly pull forward to put tension on the chain.

3rd. I make sure I am in Drive. I then set my Juice w/ attitude up so it does not defuel and backdowns off At this point, your vision becomes blurry, your heart is beating fast, and you are getting knots in your stomach.

4th. The waiting game. It took me a few passes to realize there is no hurry to pull off the line. This is not drag racing. I focus on the flagger down the track and wait for the green flag. As soon as I get green, I do a real quick run down to make sure everything is set to the settings I need.

5th. Its go time. Left foot as hard as possible to the floor right foot down slow until it starts to move then right foot to the floor and left foot release. You will find that this is VERY difficult to watch gauges so don’t.. So much going on around you and the excitement.

6th. Pull until you can't pull no more. I have heard over and over for the most part not to worry about the gauges. This pull is for a very short period of time and the weight comes on slowly. You will feel the truck getting slower.

7th. Get r done. The truck is starting to creep now to the point that it can't go any further. Be very focused on the flag. This is probably the most likely chance that things could go wrong and break if you are not careful. Do your very best to try to ease out of the throttle... to prevent your turbo barking or other carnage best to pop it in neutral before letting off with the right foot.. Easy rule to remember if the truck starts to hop. Hop 1=Hey buddy, take it easy. Hop 2=No really pal, I'm serious... last warning before carnage. Hop 3=Point of no return. POW. Busted parts. If you get a red flag while pulling... STOP! There IS a reason!

8th. You done good. You now need to watch the official so he can back you up and unhook you. Put the truck into neutral, show my hands, and wait to get the signal from track officials to take the truck away. Hopefully on its own power j/k.

I can tell you from experience that I thought this would be very hard on the truck. I was surprised at the ease of how light the trailer is off the line and how easily / gently the truck comes to a rolling start. To date, I have not broken anything in the progress of pulling. In my opinion, doing 4x4 launches drag racing seems to have been more wear & tear on the truck.

Stay focused, watch the officials and HAVE FUN!!!!. Do not be intimidated. A stock truck can pull a sled with no problem.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
2005 dodge 4x4,2500 silver sport, cummins of course, motor new 3-9-09, gen2 header, ARP studs, DDP injectors, edge hot w/A2, 4" silverline, custom intake, gauges, turbo timer, r&p 4.11, short bed dually.(tow truck)

2005 dodge 4x4, white flat bed, cummins 3500 qc, drw (puller
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

Silly gassers, pulling is for smokers.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the latest pull video goto:

GDP (Gota Dodge Puller)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2008, 01:10 PM   #2
2wd_sled_puller
<<< MY day job

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoPower05 View Post
. Hop 1=Hey buddy, take it easy. Hop 2=No really pal, I'm serious... last warning before carnage. Hop 3=Point of no return. POW. Busted parts..
This is about as true as it gets right here. Hopping is not a very good freind. To elimante hop there are a couple steps u can take # 1 add a little air to your tires. Some pullers like myself pull @ about 25 psi is what works best for me. On some tracks 25 psi is killer. On others the truck wont hop and gets right down to business. #2 U can add traction bars. Even if u add traction bars and run to low of tire pressure it will still hop. Get your traction bars as long as possible. Most try to get traction bars that run from the rear end all the way up to the drivers door. This creates Weight transfer alot better and easier It will do away with axle wrap for the most part.

Mike I didnt wanna take your post from u theres good info in it just figured i would add i hope thats ok.

Kurt

Valair clucth Air dog, soon to be sct tuned

97 chevy 2500

5 tons running gear, 54 inch tires, and a slighty tuned motor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread